|Jaimie Alexander in Genny|
Best Dressed of the Night.
The geometric print. The matching green earrings. The pockets!
Truly, my new year doesn't officially start until I'm watching the Golden Globes. Because it marks the return of Awards Season. *raise the roof*
Hosted by Ricky Gervais, his 4th time, the Golden Globes 2016 kinda lumbered along for 3 hours. I mean, it was okay. I enjoyed it as much as I can. But it wasn't as lively as last year's offering. There were some highlights, though:
- Jaimie Alexander going "Who types this shit?" when the teleprompter kept messing up while she was trying to present an award with Amber Heard.
- There had to be that someone to mock Steve Harvey's Miss Universe moment. And that someone was Jamie Foxx. He declared Straight Outta Compton the winner for Best Original Score. Of course, that was not true given that the movie wasn't even nominated (for anything!) The true winner was Ennio Morricone for The Hateful Eight. Sidenote: Jamie's daughter, Corrine, was Miss Golden Globe. And she looked so lovely.
- "Thank you, Salma." "You're welcome, Charo". This hilarious closing exchange between America Ferrera and Eva Longoria happened before presenting the award for Best Actor in a TV Drama. The beautiful ladies came out to state that, yes, they are two totally different Latina actresses - Eva is not Eva Mendes and America is not Gina Rodriguez. That was a shot at the Golden Globes. During the nomination telecast in December, the Golden Globes Twitter account referred to America as Gina. The tweet has since been deleted.
- Sylvester "Sly" Stallone winning (a sentimental award) Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture for his work on Creed.
- Golden Globes love for Mozart in the Jungle (yes, that's actually a show and it's on Amazon Prime) gave me the biggest laughter of the evening. Like, seriously?
- The Cecil B. DeMille Award was given to Denzel Washington honoring his illustrious film career. His speech was cute only because it wasn't really a speech...? He kept forgetting what to say and who to thank despite having a piece of paper in his hand. The problem: he forgot his reading glasses on the table. While I was happy for Denzel, I was extremely geeked to see his son, John David, on stage. John does a great job in the show Ballers. You should watch. It's on HBO. Thanks.
- Taraji gonna Taraj. Winner for Best Actress in a Television Series for her work as Cookie Lyon in Empire, Taraji grabbed a whole rack of cookies and started randomly handing it out to folks while making her way on stage. Once on stage, she slyly mentioned how all it took for her to get this award was to play a drug dealer locked up in jail for 17 years. Then while calling out her 'thank yous', the good folks at Golden Globes made the mistake of telling her to hurry up. Her response: "I waited 20 years for this, you're gonna wait." And they sure enough did.
Congratulations to Taraji P. Henson and Mr. Robot and Leonardo DiCaprio (I will not watch The Revenant but still happy for him) and Lady Gaga and Inside Out and Matt Damon (I may watch The Martian) and Sylvester Stallone!
Okey Dokey. Fashion Time.
|Laverne Cox in Elizabeth Kennedy|
Laverne came out to stun.
She looked amazing.
And GLORAY to her finding a wig that actually works.
Cause I was tired of seeing those Bey-ish wigs on her head.
|Olivia Wilde in Michael Kors|
Definitely falls into the '70s trend.
Great choice of necklace. The contrast in color between the bag and dress is on point.
Dress is sleek and slinky.
Not fond of the makeup.
|Cate Blanchett in Givenchy|
A vintage's dream.
Would have gone with a different clutch.
|Jennifer Lawrence in Dior and Chopard (necklace)|
Red is definitely her color, that's for sure.
She finally figured out what to do with that haircut.
Makeup is on point.
Still iffy on the side cut-outs.
|Zendaya Coleman in Marchesa|
In many people's eyes, especially on Twitter, Zendaya was one of the best dressed.
And I'm over here thinking, huh?
Because that dress is not appealing.
Gorgeous color but just no.
|Viola Davis in Marchesa|
The hairstyle ages her.
Can't quite put my finger on why her dress is not setting my world on fire.
Something is just...off.
|Eva Longoria in Georges Hobeika|
Too many elementa going on with the slit and the belt with the bow and the bow cut-out neckline.
Plus the dress has an open back.
And don't get me started with the white heels.
|Uzo Aduba in Marchesa|
Oh boy. This isn't it.
The hair is a womp. The fit is a womp. The sleeves are overdone. The neckline is too high.
An all around nah.
I don't get the random curtain of a cape on the dress.
*photos c/o Hollywood Life and Just Jared
And there we have it.
Did you watch the Golden Globes? How about the Red Carpet special on E! or NBC? Who had your favorite look? Not so favorite?